So this is the second of my cover redesigns for some 12″ records I found abandoned. I just had to give them a good home. At least temporarily before I repainted them and placed them back on the streets. With this one it originally looked something like this:
Found record redesign – BEFORE
But now has some extra 3D effect linework in there. My skills are so seamless that my girlfriend thought that my update was the original cover. Until i put the ‘red’, ‘white’ and ‘blue’ lettering on there. The ‘white’ lets me down somewhat although I think the overall effect still works nicely. Anyway best of luck in finding it but we’ll update when they’re all out and about…
Also, if you don’t know the song and want to hear it you can do here:
You want serendipity? I’ll give you serendipity. Although you may need a little background before it seems all that serendipitous. I’ve always loved records and have collected them on and off since I was about 16. I’ve also always been a womble and will pick up interesting things in my travels and take them home (usually to paint on). So what was I meant to do when I rounded a corner near my house and came across an armful of abandoned 12″ records lying by a bin. It was like seeing a load of forsaken kittens lying in the street. I had no choice but to scoop them up and head on my way feeling ever so slightly smug about the whole thing. While I was having a quick check through them (which revealed that they were largely mid 90’s dance) I thought I’d perhaps re-design the covers and then put them back out on the street.
So here’s the first of my redesigns. It was initially this:
But is now the marvel you see at the top. I’ve taken it quite literally and used a stencil of my own mum. Ha! That will hopefully fox someone when it gets back out on the street…
If you want to know which record I’m on about you can find out here:
We don’t usually put out spoiler shots or the like but i’ve made an exception for this little QR code as it’s taken up a load of my time and i’ve been working on this canvas for some time now and thought she deserved a little build up before I get her finished.
Once we’d managed to come up with the initial idea for this commission (which in itself took a fair bit of time) the main bulk of the canvas was fairly easy to complete but then I was left with my final conundrum. How was I meant to get six QR codes on there so that they were readable, working and looking good? I considered just about all the options I could think of – by hand, stencilled, gel medium transfer, wheatpaste, etc but i was concerned that; a) they wouldn’t be readable (and therefore wouldn’t take you to my carefully selected links) or b) they just wouldn’t look right considering most of the rest of the picture is stencilled. So I finally settled on screen printing in the hope the codes would be easily legible and look sweet.
After a bit of trial and error it was time to move to the canvas – which itself proved problematic as it’s not flat or straight. So, after moving my entire printing set up and setting it up raised off the ground (to accommodate the fact that the canvas has 4cm deep box sides) I then had to put something behind the canvas to ensure a flat edge to print against. Anyway, enough of my problems. Suffice it to say I finally managed to get it nailed and this is the product of my endeavours…
I’ve emphasised previously just how honed our womble-like instincts are these days and how we pretty much can’t say no to anything that we can possibly paint on or that could potentially be useful at some future point. To further elaborate this point we recently acquired a couple of doors that had definitely seen better days (and that are surprisingly heavy!)
After a little deliberation to decide what to get on them it was decided that the first one should be out of our door as soon as possible as it was really blocking the place up. Quite how it was decided to put a dancing bear on there i’m not entirely sure but these things are what they are. We seem to have had some had some influence from Banksy in the definition of the bear’s feet (i.e. they aren’t there) but thankfully i don’t feel that detracts from the overall message.
After carrying it a fairly short distance it was released into the wild and will probably be where it was deposited for a fair while as it definitely takes two to move these things. A prize to anyone who knows where this one is. Keep your eyes out for the next one sometime soon…
This one is (obviously) inspired by the song ‘Rhinestone Cowboy‘ by Glen Campbell – but giving it a little up to date twist. It’s a screenprint on A3 paper with hand-painted pants and added rhinestone goodness. Unfortunately now that i’ve put the words ‘rhinestone cowboy’ down on paper (so to speak) I can’t get the bloody song out of my head. I suppose I should have guessed that would have happened. Oh well, I suppose I could have something more annoying running riot in my brain – perhaps ‘Blame it on the weatherman’ by B*witched. That would certainly count towards self-decapitation…
I can’t wait until we’ve got the screenprinter out again as i’ve got plenty of t-shirts & paper and a whole load of ideas that need to be used up. Hopefully sometime soon…
Title: Like a rhinesone b-boy
Media: Hand pulled screenprint with hand finished pants and a couple of added rhinestones!